Tuesday 1 October 2013

First EVER overseas work trip - Friedrichshafen, Germany

So, my first ever overseas work trip!!  Was it a complete disaster?  Did I get lost with no knowledge of the German language? Did I get on the wrong bus, boat or airplane?? Nope nothing of the sort, it was a roaring success and I loved every minute!!

I landed in Frankfurt to be greeted with a 27 mile walk to my next gate (with a 55 minute transfer time!) so I had to make it a slight jog, which with my fitness levels at the minute felt like a marathon - but I made it and jumped straight onto the tiny little plane to take me to Freidrichshafen airport - which is probably the smallest but most well signposted airport I have ever been to.  I managed to successfully get a taxi which dropped me off, not at my hotel, that would be too easy.  As my hotel was in Konstanz which is the other side of lake Konstanz, I had to get dropped at the Catamaran port which took me to Konstanz - on arrival I didn't appreciate the sites much as I was lugging the heaviest suitcase (for less than a week!) in history! But once I had gone up a hill, down a hill and up a hill again I found my hotel (next door to a McDonalds whoop!) - I dumped my luggage in my room and as it was still daylight I went to have a look around, and I'm glad I did because this place was beautiful:








So, I had a look around but I was starving hungry having not eaten all day and I was not in the mood (nor did I have the energy) nor have the energy to sit in a restaurant with my book!!  Therefore, I eyed up the McDonalds a few more times before making the ultimate decision to eat a Big Mac in bed!!  So off I went ordered my 'menu' (apparently German for meal, very confusing!!) and took it to my room and proceeded to happily watch a film on my ipad!!

It was only then that I realised in order to get to the show at a reasonable time I would have to leave my hotel at 6.30AM which was 5.30AM UK time, meaning I had to be up at what felt like 4.30AM - so I proceeded to go straight to sleep with the nagging panic at the back of my mind that my alarm wouldn't wake me up!

It did and I went on the 2hour journey to the show - which was not too bad as 45 minutes of it were on the Catamaran with these types of views:




Then was the show, the actual reason why I came to Friedrichshafen in the first place.  First day I turned up in a suit, only to be nearly laughed out of the building as the show was called OutDoor everyone was wearing sports gear and casual clothes, I looked completely out of place.  Unfortunately, I hadn't prepared clothes for casual working week so I had to wear the same jeans all week - thank god for overnight laundering at the hotel!!!

This is where I spent my week:



Everyone at the show was so friendly and I had a truly enjoyable time, the only downside was that the last Catamaran back to Konstanz was at 7pm so I couldn't enjoy the evening festivities like I hope to be able to at future shows but that wasn't the end of the world.  On my last day on the stand I had a little glass of champagne with the team and said my goodbyes!!

It was a little sad to leave my first show, but I was tired and ready for a good nights sleep and a lie in!!  I was a little worried traveling home about how I would cope with the same level of work with jet lag but we will soon see..........

J

No comments:

Post a Comment