Monday 8 April 2013

Dad's 60th Surprise Party!!!! SUCCESS

Well, the surprise party!!! I don't think I have ever been so stressed/nervous/excited all rolled into one.  In fact all of these emotions rolled into one made me feel pretty sick, leaving me on Friday afternoon to have to have a rest and leave the last bits of the food to my 2 aunts and cousins.  However, no matter what I did I couldn't relax, i only felt better after we had been down to the hall and set everything up then I relaxed a little and stopped feeling sick!!  It occured to me later on in the weekend that I ate nothing all day and futhermore I ate nothing at the party - no wonder I felt sick!!  My usually full stomach was crying out for food!!

Anyway, my detox fortnight worked as my dress fitted and I felt good when I looked in the mirror, it has been a long time since I have felt that way and it had a huge impact on the rest of my weekend!!  The dress is from Little Mistress at House of Fraser and the shoes are Iron Fist exclusively for Schuh - I fell in love with them both at first site and when I put them together I was soo pleased!!  Particularly, as the dress has an open back and my very favourite tattoo is on my back and I love to show it off when I can!! More than one person came up to me at the party to ask if it was real and tried to rub it off!!!  I can assure you it won't rub off!!


So, the party!!  Lots of people arrived before Dad which is always good at a surprise party and people came from far and wide to be there which I was soo pleased about.  One of my Dad's uni friends came all the way from Essex just for the party, how lovely.  After spending 30 minutes on edge with my phone permemently glued to my hand waiting for a call from my Godmother to say they had arrived - they arrived.  Dad was shocked to say the least, I really did think he had an idea something was going on, however it turned out he didnt!!  He stepped in the door, realised what was happening and took three steps back in shock - I thought he was trying to escape!!!

So, once Dad was in and mingling the party kicked off!!!  The music was great (Thank you Louise for the playlist!!) and everyone was up and dancing realyl early which I loved.  We had cracker toys on the tables, masks of my dad and party poppers to add to the fun and I think everyone enjoyed it as much as I did.  I couldn't have done any of it without my cousins and my aunts, not only were they a huge help with the organisation and the food etc but they we're a great support when I was freaking out and calmed me down when I was getting stressed, I couldn't have done it without them!!
So, as a Brummie I fully support the idea that we shouldn't be allowed on microphones (or tele) as it makes us sound like we're from Dudley or Wolverhampton but I didn't have a choice and had to make a speech to thank everyone for coming etc.  So I did, I thanked my Aunts and Cousins and thanked everyone for coming.  But in my drunken stouper I forgot to thank my Godmother and her daughter for getting my dad there and also forgot to mention the people who weren't there.  There we're so many people who should have been there that I dearly wanted to be there, my Mom, my Granddad Bob, my Grandad Reg and my Uncle Paul for starters.  It's never the same without them!!  I didn't mention them and I can't seem to get it out of my head that I should have said something.  There is nothing that can be done now and I should just forget about it but apparently, thats not how my mind works :-/

All in all, the party was a huge success and everyone had a great night.  My Dad still seems to struggle to make positive comments about situations and won't stop talking about how much f a blur the night was because he was sooo shocked and how he couldn't have a proper conversation with anyone because he wasn't prepared for it.  When he highlights the negatives instead of the positives I know it's him being honest but it still hurts.  I wish he would for once say 'Thank you so much it was a brilliant night and I loved it' but no such luck....I have to guess that he loved it and assume I did the right thing but it would be so much easier if he wasn't so honest about the things that weren't that great all the time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment