Monday 11 March 2013

Mother's Day 2013

Well, this weekend was different.  It was Mother's day which is usually quite a sad day for me anyway but this year it fell on 10th March.  That being the day that I lost my mom 14 years ago.  I thought Sunday would be sad for me but on Friday I found out three young children had lost their mother to cancer, 2 days before Mother's day and my heart went out to them.  Honestly, I don't really remember the days afer my moms death, I think it was all a bit of a blur but I know Mother's day was only a few days after.  What i do remember was finding the Mother's day card that I had brought for her but never written, that was a sad moment.  So, I don't know how these lovely children or their dad would be feeling this weekend just gone but I made sure to have a special moment to think of them and what they are going through. 

One thing I do know is that I am very lucky to have the family and friends I do have in my life who are willing to drop everything to go on travels with me to distract me on days like Sunday.  This Mother's day we took my Nanny Doris to Stratford on the train - it has become apparent to me that entertaining a 91 year old is the same as entertaining and 3 year old.  She was very excited about the train and her day out so i was glad we went ahead even though it was freezing cold and snowing.  So me, my dad, my cousin and 2 aunts took Nanny on her travels and for lunch at the oldest pub in Stratford.  My good friend Lou and her husband Steve joined us for lunch and it was so lovely to see them and her ever growing bump - i am pleased to say that Bow (the bump) kicked/elbowed/shouldered me finally...I have been waiting a long time to feel that little monkey move!!

Highlights of Mothers day:

  • My 91 year old Nan announcing she is pregnant, she thinks and William Shakespeare is the father!
  • Food swapping, started by Nan refusing to leave food she doesn't want on her plate
  • Giant cheesecake in Patisserie Valerie
  • Sending my Aunt's into a mirror maze and waiting 2 minutes for them to freak out
  • Louise, rather epicly, zipping her entire top into her coat zip:



I was also a very luck girl to receive a present from Lou and Steve which is a beautiful new addition to my Thomas Sabo bracelet which I recently started wearing again - it took me a while as alot of the memories i had of the bracelet/charms we're with friends that are no longer in my life.  However, I came to realise that just because they aren't in my life anymore doesn't mean the memories didn't happen - they just took longer to think of them in a happy way rather than a 'I don't have them anymore' way!




Food wise, I was pretty naughty over the weekend, but I think I had a valid excuse?! ok maybe there is no excuse but I had steak, chips, chocolate tart and lemon cheesecake - luckily I can't make it to weigh in this week due to a family birthday doh!!  Never mind, back on it next week to ensure a good few weeks loss before the surprise party!! I'm still struggling with body issues, especially next to my cousin, Steph who I have been doing Weight Watchers with.  She is doing really well and hasn't actually lost that much more than me, but it is MUCH more noticeable on her and I am extremely jealous!  Although, I am very proud of her for her weight loss and she has quit smoking for nearly 4 weeks so thats an amazing acheivement!!

Speaking of not doing so well, I went out with my oldest (by how long we have been friends not her age!!!) friend on Friday night, usually we will have Diet Coke and maybe a packet of crisps/nuts if we're feeling daring!!  But we decided we needed a drink, so 2 bottles of White Zinfandel later and we are laughing like hyenias at god knows what or who - cue 11.20 and I am in bed with a bowl of Alpen - not quite so hardcore anymore!! Plus the rotten hangover that kept me in bed until 2pm on Saturday didn't feel too clever either!!!


So that was my weekend, how was yours??

TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment