Monday 4 November 2013

Childhood memories...

The BEDN topic for today is Bonfire Night, however being in Paris means I won't be celebrating it, so instead I will bore you with stories of my childhood bonfire nights!!

My mom used to organise a bonfire party every year for all out family and friends (any excuse for a party!!) and they are one of the things I truly miss from my childhood!! Mom would make jacket potatos and serve them in tin foil and cup-a-soups in big mugs that you could wrap your hands around with gloves on to keep warm!! My dad would hold his hot soup or hot potato with his gloves on and put his hands to my face to warm me up!!

We had sparklers, which my dad would try to light in bulk (but burnt his thumb and a hole in the kitchen floor in the process!!).  We would have a huge bonfire to keep warm in a metal dustbin and loads of fireworks!! The Catherine wheel would always be nailed to the fence and always get stuck and shoot brights lights in a straight like instead f a circle!! The one time it actual went round it burnt a huge black circle on the next door neighbours fence!!

Dad would bore us with British History and the Gunpowder plot when all we wanted was to see fireworks!!

We don't do these anymore, I don't know whether it's because Mom's not here to plan it or whether it's because all us kids grew up and stopped wanted to hang around with our parents!!  

Either way, bonfire night was by far one of my favourite childhood memories!!

1 comment:

  1. That's lovely Jen! Such fantastic memories! Wish i was still living in the Midlands, i would be up for a bonfire party! x

    ReplyDelete